Saturday, November 12, 2011

Bill McWeeny's Classroom Environment

Source: http://learnweb.harvard.edu/alps/tfu/pop3_5.cfm

The first thing that I think is interesting to them, and it is to me, is that they're not going to have tests the first term. But then I ask them the question, "There's no tests, so how am I going to grade you? And how am I going to be fair about grading you?" Since I had already explained to them about the notebook, somebody usually says, "I guess you're going to take a look at our notebook." I say yes and I go into explaining how I systematize the notebook so that we can look at it. Not only will I be looking at it, but there will be peer reviews. We'll be looking at each other's notebooks and trying to help each other. That's why the tables in the classroom are situated in 6 parts. You sit facing each other, not the teacher because we're going to be working together in groups.

Students are in the classroom 45 minutes everyday. Once a week Mr.McWeeny has the students for a double period he calls a lab. The students are divided into sections and the sections are scheduled based on a 6 day week. (So if a lab is on Monday one week, the lab the next week will be on a Tuesday). When projects are underway, everyday becomes a lab day.

On Mr. McWeeny's walls, he has his throughlines as well as odds and ends from past classes and interests. The aquariums as well as other supplies are easily found as well.